Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Starting a Healthy Heritage

For a while now I've wanted so much to leave a legacy of healthy eating with my children. I have struggled(and still do) with certain areas of my eating. It's true, I love love love vegetables. Although I find it bothersome in the amount of prep it takes to cook them properly. I have felt strongly as of late, that I need to start incorporating more grains into my diet, and thus trickle down to the young'ns. Even though my desire to cook with grains is great, I'm not sure how to. So I am jumping in with both feet and just going for it. Of course I feel a little(maybe a huge)push from Melissa. She is such an inspiring person. I know it's possible to make good grain foods. So today, I just went for it. I reduced both the oil and sugar in these zucchini muffins and added applesauce, bananas, bran, and whole wheat. There is no white flower in these muffins. I really like how they taste. But the test is to see if the young'ns like them. If they do, I'll share the recipe. If not, it's back to the drawing board.




Doesn't it look good though?

Alright, they were a hit with half my young'ns.  So I consider that a success.  Here is the recipe.  I just dumped things into the bowl. I mixed as I went.  So add the ingredients as they are listed. So here goes:

4TBL Canola/Olive Oil
1 Banana(I let the mixer smash it up)
1/2 cup sugar
1 can applesause
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups zucchini, shredded
1 cup coconut
1 cup bran
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, add more if needed
1/2 cup finally chopped chocolate, or mini chocolate chips

You will want to use muffin liners for these.  Since there is hardly any fat, you'll need them.  I baked 24 of these in a 350 oven for about 20 minutes.  Hope you love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment